Headshave Center At Forumotion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Losing weight

+8
Skully
Zeke
CleanSlate
Vincenzo
AtomicGleam
MightyA
BillyBaldwin
mcpacker
12 posters

Go down

Losing weight Empty Losing weight

Post  mcpacker Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:50 pm

For too long I believed what the BMI scale told me. According to it I am obese. I'm 5'8" and weigh 215. I'm getting very close to fitting in pants that have a 34 waist. Last May I was 235 and 38 waist pants were tight. I could not walk a mile non stop with a 45lb pack. My last backpacking trip had me with a 45lb pack and on the uphill portions of the trail I was getting way ahead of the other two guys in my party.

One of my goals is to get under 200 but I'm not letting that control my workout and diet. I'm mostly focusing on getting in better shape. I found some pictures from my time in the Marines and I looked way to skinny. I like the muscles I have acquired. In the Marines I had a 29" waist and weighed about 150.

I really don't know what my ideal weight is. My last physical went very well. Average cholesterol and blood pressure. I want to start running again I'm just worried about losing too much muscle.

Oh my diet is pretty healthy. I avoid processed food and pretty much eat a vegetarian diet. I only drink water and juice on a daily basis. Still drink alcohol socially(love dark beer).

Don't really know why I'm posting this but if you have any advice I would love to hear it.
mcpacker
mcpacker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Losing weight Empty Re: Losing weight

Post  BillyBaldwin Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 pm

I also had a 29 inch waist amd weighed 150 lbs. Says that in my first drivers license. Currently my waist is between 36 and 34 inches and weigh 185 lbs. My doctor suggested that I eat no more than 2000 calories per day and to divide them up into 4 meals. A 500 calorie meal sounds rather prohibitive.
Lots of vegetables, no sugar or processed white food. That means no rice, potatoes or bread. What's left to eat is bland and tasteless. Now that the New Year has come I'm doing some research on 500 cal meals. I'll report back and tell you what I found. Any suggestions would help getting me on the track to a more healthful diet.
BillyBaldwin
BillyBaldwin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Losing weight Empty good meals

Post  mcpacker Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 am

One thing I do is make vegetable soup. I just buy vegetable stock and whatever veggies I feel like. The seasonings I use are sea salt, ground pepper, garlic and ground chipotle. It tastes much better than can soup and I think it is low calorie.
mcpacker
mcpacker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  BillyBaldwin Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:47 am

Very wise decision considering all the sodium in canned soups. We use low sodium vegetable stock and add the big three - carrots, onions, celery and whatever vegetables are in season.
Makes a hearty and healthy soup.
BillyBaldwin
BillyBaldwin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Losing weight Empty some other things I eat

Post  mcpacker Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:21 am

My whole idea of eating has changed. Most of my life I thought a proper meal was meat, potatoes and some vegetables with a big glass of milk. These days a meal can be a cup of unsalted mixed nuts and some raw veggies without any sort of dip. If I eat bread it is a grainy bread instead of cheap white bread and I usually bake it from scratch. The two horrible things I mostly avoid are fast food and soda. I used to go through a few 12 packs of dew a week. The last time I tried to drink a dew it was not possible. All the sugar and the acidic qualities of soda is too much for me and gives me bad heartburn.

Water is the key for me at least. I just sip it through the day so my body can absorb it easier. I keep it around 100oz a day. If I drink other things it is 100% juice or tea but I try to limit my caffeine. As long as I get a good nights sleep I never need caffeine to stay awake.

The best thing about summer is the farmers market. All the good deals and the fact that I'm giving my money to local farmers makes me feel good. One of my friends has a big garden and as long as I help him weed it I get free veggies.

The most important thing I have realized about losing weight is to have gradual reductions and do things that increase my physical activity. I think doing things this way will make it easier to keep the weight off for the long term. I also don't think too much about the end results because its all about the journey for me. If I slip up I'm ok with that and I will always take advice from others.

One thing we can do with this thread is share healthy recipes or any ideas we come up with that work. If anyone has some tips or tricks I'm all ears.

Here is one tip I have:
1. If you are looking at this thread and have hair shave it off! Hair is matter and all matter has weight. It's the easiest way to lose "some" weight.
mcpacker
mcpacker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  MightyA Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I've ditched soda too. Too many "empty calories". There are lots of Farmer's Markets around my parts. My New Year's resolution is to get a market every Saturday and store up on a week's supply of fresh produce. Another big goal is to eat only whole-wheat pasta. I'm a big pasta eater and if I am not actively on portion control I gain weight in the gut. Whole wheat pasta is a healthier alternative and it even tastes better than the regular kind. Even though the sun's still shining here and the temps are not as frigid as the rest of the country, my activity level is not the same during the winter months.
So another goal for me is to maintain my activity level throughout the entire year.
MightyA
MightyA
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  AtomicGleam Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

My weight maintenance goals for the New Year.
1)Limit my alcohol intake.
2)Drink plenty of water.
3)Limit coffee.
4)Limit chocolate.
5)Eat properly and regularly.
6)Increase omega-three fatty acids.
7)Reduce fried foods.
8)Get enough sleep.
9)Get fresh air and exercise.
10)Try meditation and relaxation techniques, including yoga.
AtomicGleam
AtomicGleam
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincenzo Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am

Gerard Butler was a lardo just a few weeks ago.
Losing weight 500x_gerardbutler

He's been doing the TV talk show circuit this week plugging his new film with Jennifer Aniston and he appears to be back in shape.

How did he lose all that poundage so fast?
Losing weight Bbc-011978
Vincenzo
Vincenzo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  CleanSlate Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:23 am

My wife said Butler is wearing a form of spanx, a mirdle - a man's girdle.

Men have been getting away with beer bellies for years, but not anymore. Marks & Spencer is launching a line of fat-busting garments for men, including vests (undershirts) and t-shirts made of stretch cotton.

Just in time for New Year’s, the Bodymax collection features hidden panels that make the waistline appear at least 1.5 inches smaller.

Losing weight Shapewear_1550660cPHOTO-PA
CleanSlate
CleanSlate
Citizen Extraordinaire
Citizen Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeke Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 am

The only manly way to lose weight is to go to the gym.
Zeke
Zeke
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Skully Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:08 am

I read that Butler went on a strict regimen of diet and exercise.
Skully
Skully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  dieslgrl Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 am

Skully wrote:I read that Butler went on a strict regimen of diet and exercise.
I say he's wearing the Bodymax.
dieslgrl
dieslgrl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan-0-mite Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:15 am

The reason why he gained all that extra weight......the very lethal Jennifer Anniston. She's a b-yatch.
After completing their current film, the Bounty Hunter, Butler went on an eating binge.

Losing weight Gerard-butler-jennifer-aniston-handcuffs-4
Dan-0-mite
Dan-0-mite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  McGrath Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:12 am

Every shot I've seen of this movie has Butler in the same plaid shirt and Aniston in that black tank.
McGrath
McGrath
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:13 am

Avoid the Butler/Anniston film at ALL costs. It's a dud.
Luke
Luke
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down