Headshave Center At Forumotion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question?

+11
cyclops77
Celsius
Webmaster
BladeRunner
Marco
Skully
Geodome
Soapbuddy
Razor
John
Austin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you exfoliate?

To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Vote_lcap46%To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 6 ]
To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Vote_lcap15%To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]
To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Vote_lcap38%To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 13

To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Empty To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question?

Post  Austin Sat May 16, 2009 7:26 pm

I don't know if this is breaking news or not, but "exfoliating" my head before I shave seems to give me a much smoother and closer shave with less irritation. It also seems to give the full chrome dome without the dreaded stubble for longer.

Do others out there exfoliate? If so, do you everytime you shave? I have heard that daily exfoliation is too rough on the skin, do you think that is the case? Any opinions?
Austin
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Empty Re: To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question?

Post  John Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Exfoliating prepares the scalp and makes the headshaving process easier since it removes all the dead skin cells from that area. The blade will glide rather than pull as you shave across your head and the resulting shave will be closer and smoother. There are all sorts of products out there, but this homemade combo works fine for me.

BJ's Exfoliator
1 tbs baking soda
1 tsp hydrogen peroxide
Mix into a paste and apply to skin.
Let dry and then wash off with cool water.

My suggestion is to thoroughly wet your head with luke warm water. After you mix the baking soda with the peroxide gently message it into your scalp (and face, if you want to, avoid the eyes). Let it dry and then with wet your hands, giving your scalp another go at it, removing and washing away any residue.

I use this twice a week as a pre-headshave.
It's very soothing, gets rid of the dead skin cells
and leaves my head soft and smooth.
John
John
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Empty Re: To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question?

Post  Razor Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm gonna give BJ's recipe a try.
Razor
Razor
Citizen Extraordinaire
Citizen Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Mon May 18, 2009 7:58 pm

I mix white or brown sugar and oil; like almond, grapeseed or jojoba. Mix the two and viola! A natural exfoliator.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

http://www.gingersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Geodome Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Soapbuddy wrote:I mix white or brown sugar and oil; like almond, grapeseed or jojoba. Mix the two and viola! A natural exfoliator.
Soapbuddy's exfoliator is a "sweeter" recipe and probably less caustic to the skin than John's. Are those oils readily available?
Geodome
Geodome
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Geodome wrote:
Soapbuddy wrote:I mix white or brown sugar and oil; like almond, grapeseed or jojoba. Mix the two and viola! A natural exfoliator.
Soapbuddy's exfoliator is a "sweeter" recipe and probably less caustic to the skin than John's. Are those oils readily available?
If you have a health food store near you, at least one of those oils should be available.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Geodome Fri May 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Soapbuddy wrote:If you have a health food store near you, at least one of those oils should be available.
Thanks for the advice Soapbuddy. I'll check my local store this weekend. Of the three oils that you mentioned is there one that you prefer over the others?
Geodome
Geodome
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Fri May 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Geodome wrote:
Soapbuddy wrote:If you have a health food store near you, at least one of those oils should be available.
Thanks for the advice Soapbuddy. I'll check my local store this weekend. Of the three oils that you mentioned is there one that you prefer over the others?
You're welcome.
I like jojoba, as technically it's a plant wax, not an oil. If your skin is dry, then I would go with the almond oil.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Geodome Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am

I bought the jojoba oil and some brown sugar this morning. Before I give this go on my head, what ratio of the two do you suggest I use? (1:1, 2:1, etc)
Geodome
Geodome
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Sun May 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Geodome wrote:I bought the jojoba oil and some brown sugar this morning. Before I give this go on my head, what ratio of the two do you suggest I use? (1:1, 2:1, etc)
Try 1:1
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Geodome Sat May 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Soapbuddy wrote:
Great stuff. Just the right consistancy. Since I've been using this mixture, I've been achieving a much closer and smoother shave.
Exfoliating does make a difference. The shave even lasts longer and for some reson there's less scalp irritation. Thanks Soapbuddy. Smile
Geodome
Geodome
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Sat May 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Geodome wrote:
Soapbuddy wrote:
Great stuff. Just the right consistancy. Since I've been using this mixture, I've been achieving a much closer and smoother shave.
Exfoliating does make a difference. The shave even lasts longer and for some reson there's less scalp irritation. Thanks Soapbuddy. Smile
You're welcome! Glad to hear it's working for you.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Skully Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm

I bought jojoba oil made by the Now Vitamin company at my local GNC. It smells like a sack of oats or grain that you buy to feed horses. I tried getting my money back, but was told that there's a no return policy on opened bottles. The sales clerk recommended that I add a tablespoon of hair conditioner to it. That should help mask the smell.
Skully
Skully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Marco Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Skully wrote:I bought jojoba oil made by the Now Vitamin company at my local GNC. It smells like a sack of oats or grain that you buy to feed horses.
I use jojoba oil to condition my beard. The key to jojoba is finding the refined version, which is odorless, but more expensive. The Now jojoba that you bought was most likely unrefined. Imagine putting that stuff on my beard. No
Marco
Marco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Skully wrote:I bought jojoba oil made by the Now Vitamin company at my local GNC. It smells like a sack of oats or grain that you buy to feed horses. I tried getting my money back, but was told that there's a no return policy on opened bottles. The sales clerk recommended that I add a tablespoon of hair conditioner to it. That should help mask the smell.
I bet you bought the unrefined. How much did you get?
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  BladeRunner Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:01 pm

I use this scalp treatment approximately twice a month.

Jojoba, Vitamin E & Tea Tree Scalp Oil
To Exfoliate Or Not To Exfoliate. That Is The Question? Jojoba_tea_tree_oil

Moisturizing regularly is the first step to a healthy scalp care regimen. Apparently the active essential oils of tea tree work to accelerate the healing of scalp and combat drieness. The jojoba oil and vitamin E replenish and stimulate natural oil production. The natural germicide found in tea tree is a calming antiseptic for itchy scalp.
BladeRunner
BladeRunner
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Webmaster Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 pm

That Jojoba Oil + Tea Tree Oil "together" in the same product.
Now that's something I have to try.
Webmaster
Webmaster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Marco Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 pm

[quote="Webmaster"]That Jojoba Oil + Tea Tree Oil "together" in the same product.
[quote]
Excellent product
Marco
Marco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Celsius Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:33 am

The weather has been rough on my head the last few weeks. Went to the local store the other day and bought an exfoliator by Thalgo, that I hope will reviatlize my dome.
Celsius
Celsius
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclops77 Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Isn't the process of shaving, exfoliation.
cyclops77
cyclops77
Private First Class
Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:31 pm

cyclops77 wrote:Isn't the process of shaving, exfoliation.
Yes it is.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  SlimJim Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Using an actual exfoliator takes away dead skin cells and allows for an even closer headshave.
SlimJim
SlimJim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodger Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 pm

SlimJim wrote:Using an actual exfoliator takes away dead skin cells and allows for an even closer headshave.
I've been using my wife's apricot scrub and my head's as smooth as a baby's bu##.
Rodger
Rodger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Marco Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Want to get your head super smooth? Just prior to your shave, scrub your head with borax for approximately 2 minutes. Then rinse it off and shave. Gets my head smooth as glass. sunny
Marco
Marco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Marco wrote:Want to get your head super smooth? Just prior to your shave, scrub your head with borax for approximately 2 minutes. Then rinse it off and shave. Gets my head smooth as glass. sunny

I would be VERY careful with borax. Borax, which is also known as Boric Acid and is sold under the brand name "20 Mule Team," is often touted as safe and natural. While it is a naturally occurring mineral, that doesn't mean it is without dangers.

Borax is often recommended as a "safe" pesticide, fungicide and cleaner, but it is officially classified as a poison. Government sites recommend that people who work with Borax use gloves and handle it with caution. Studies have linked it to reproductive problems in some lab animals, as well as a host of serious disorders at higher levels.

Google a MSDS sheet for borax.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next