Headshave Center At Forumotion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting A Close Headshave

+2
Rodger
Mike505
6 posters

Go down

Getting A Close Headshave Empty Getting A Close Headshave

Post  Mike505 Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:03 am

Getting a good headshave is a matter of following a few simple, practical steps. As a rule of thumb, never allow the hair on your head to grow more than three days. In cases where you have been lazy, prepare yourself for some hard time in the shower (if that is where you love to shave) or in front of the sink. Still, you can get yourself out of that sticky situation by observing a few techniques. The first trick is to shower your head generously with warm water. You might enjoy it like I do-but really the whole idea behind this exercise is to soften your hair. The longer you stay in the shower for this task, the better. But make sure you have a good badger brush and a shaving soap that are both up to the task.

As you shower that seemingly obstinate stubble, brush vigorously against the grain, allowing the shaving soap's lather to grow rich with every stroke. By going against the grain, I mean brushing against the direction of the hair's growth. You know you are finally getting to your hair follicles when they begin to feel soft against your touch. When you reach this point, it's time to start the shaving process.

Here's a few words about razor burn. Razor burn occurs when you shave against the grain, causing the razor to pull the skin and subsequently resulting in an almost microscopic cuts that sting. Chances are, you are probably very familiar with how a razor burn feels! Well, I am here to make sure this does not happen again-ever! But in order to make it happen, you have to heed my advice.

The secret is to avoid shaving against the grain of your hairtache, or more succinctly, against the direction of the hair's growth. The key is to have the razor nip at the grain and not against it, by angling the razor at say, about 90 degrees. You know you are doing this right when you feel the razor cutting through stubble in an effortless fashion. Never use force-unless you want some blood to start to show on your head. Shave in the 90-degree fashion I have indicated very slowly until you have mastered the trick. If you do as I say the very first time, it won't be long before you start to do it effortlessly.

Now a word about the razor. I prefer to use the very best-Gillette Fusion. Plus, I make it a point to replace the cartridge every week. However, the blessing about Fusion is also its curse! If you are already using it or used it before, you are aware that Fusion blades are suspended as you angle them on your head. That way, it's very easy to use it at any angle and doing your 90 degrees is a breeze. You will notice one thing though as you get used to the instrument-some tiny leftover hairs. This happens because the Fusion's suspended mechanism tends to shave very lightly even with its four-blade system. So how do you get yourself out of this dilemma? Keep Gillette Mach3 handy like I do! Use it only for that stubborn area around my ears, but then again, don't make the mistake of shaving against the grain.

If, after you've done everything and you can still touch some hair growth somewhere on your head-don't be tempted to re-shave, this time against the grain! The solution is really much simpler. Re-shave, yes, but only this time do it at a sharper angle-still on the grain, not against the grain! Having finished the re-shave, it's time to rinse off completely. Let the brush help you with the clean up. Pat your head dry with a towel. Then, as you apply your favorite after shave solution, don't forget to congratulate yourself in the mirror!
Mike505
Mike505
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Getting A Close Headshave Empty Re: Getting A Close Headshave

Post  Rodger Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:37 pm

Achieving a close head shave is not really very hard, but it can be a little intimidating the first time. For the first-time shaver, here are the steps I use to turn my hairy head into a smooth scalp.

If you shave after a shower, your hair should be softer and easier to cut. Being wet and soft reduces the chance that you'll suffer from razor bumps or ingrown hairs. Apply a shaving lubricant like Pacific Shave Oil and get it worked in as well as possible. This is an important step. The better your lubricant is worked in, the better your shave. It can make a big difference both to closeness and to comfort, so don't neglect this simple part of your routine.

Shave hair that is softer or lighter first. Shave areas that have coarser or stiffer hair last (like the back of the head). This gives the shaving cream more time to soften coarse hair and provides a much more comfortable shave. Use slow, even strokes, and don't rush things. Shaving against the grain produces the closest results. Shaving with the grain produces the least irritation. The direction you take will depend on how sensitive your skin is, and how close a shave you want. For the least irritation and smallest chance of nicking yourself, pass over each area of your scalp only once. You can shave over the same area more than once if you feel the need to shave closer, but each pass may increase the irritation you experience. When you're done, clean it up and perform your post-shave routine.

If you prepare for shaving properly, there shouldn't be much irritation, and you probably won't need aftershave. I usually just wash my head with soap and water and towel off again. If you do experience irritation, use a good aftershave lotion or skin care lotion. The most important thing about any aftershave product is that it should soothe your skin and help it heal. Aftershave products or skin care lotions that contain Aloe Vera or Vitamin E will help. Avoid aftershaves that contain alcohol. Alcohol dries out the skin, and this is the last thing you need after shaving. If you have coarse or curly hair, you should take extra care while shaving, because you are more likely to get razor bumps or ingrown hair. Shave with the grain and don't make more than two passes over the same area, and be sure your hair is very wet when you start shaving.

And that's it, basically. You should now be the owner of a smooth and sexy bald head.
Rodger
Rodger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  AtomicGleam Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:12 am

AtomicGleam
AtomicGleam
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Skully Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Your newly exposed scalp needs special care after that ordeal.
There are helpful suggestions in this thread. If you have any further questions, just ask.
Skully
Skully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Cool video! Cool
Austin
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant