Headshave Center At Forumotion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions

+7
Tyro
Austin
AtomicGleam
Soapbuddy
Skully
Luke
Celsius
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions Empty Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions

Post  Celsius Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Being that there are many good Americans here at this site, I don’t expect you to understand the significance of this oddly named holiday, which nonetheless appears on many of your calendars.
So while you’re trying on your new clothes or hooking up your electronics, why not see how much you know about the celebration?
Ready?

Traditionally, Boxing Day is a day where people from such places as Canada, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand have the day off to:
A) Box up cash, food or other goods for the less fortunate as a gesture of good will.
B) “Box up” resentments and bad feelings to symbolically let go of grudges and make peace.
C) Watch prizefighters box each other to raise money for local charities.
D) Box up and return unwanted gifts to the stores, while merchants run heavily promoted one-day after-Christmas sales that rival Black Friday in the U.S.

The correct answer?
That depends on what tradition you’re talking about — the old one or the new one. (It’s complicated.) So, what can we say about Boxing Day?
Well, it’s not to celebrate Muhammad Ali.
Nor is it for patching up bad relationships.

The answer, therefore, is A.

And D.

Boxing Day’s roots can be traced to Great Britain. The celebration originated from the long-ago tradition of presenting money, food or durable goods, often in boxes, to the less fortunate.
That’s about as much as anyone can definitively say about its origin because once you step beyond that point, it’s straight into the quagmire of debated claims and dueling folklorists.

And we’re not about to get into that.
Celsius
Celsius
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions Empty Re: Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions

Post  Luke Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Happy Boxing Day, Cels Smile

Luke
Luke
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions Empty Re: Boxing Day, Kwanzaa & Other Year End Traditions

Post  Celsius Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:17 am

lol!
Luke wrote:Happy Boxing Day, Cels Smile
Celsius
Celsius
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Skully Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Celsius wrote:
A) Box up cash, food or other goods for the less fortunate as a gesture of good will.
B) “Box up” resentments and bad feelings to symbolically let go of grudges and make peace.

I'll go with A & B.
Skully
Skully
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Happy Boxing Day!
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

http://www.gingersgarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtomicGleam Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Happy Kwanzaa

AtomicGleam
AtomicGleam
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:24 pm

There are seven principles or Nguzo Saba.
1. UMOJA or Unity (Pronounced OO-MO-JA) -
This principle is represented by a black candle. It is reflected in the African sayings "I am We" or "I am because We are."
2. KUJICHAQULIA or Self Determination -
This principal is represented by a red candle.
3. UJIMA or Collective Work and Responsibility) -
This principle is represented by a green candle.
4. UJAMAA or Cooperative Economics -
This principle is represented by a red candle.
5. NIA or Purpose -
6. KUUMBA or Creativity -
This principle is represented by a red candle.
7. IMANI or Faith -

Happpy Kwanzaa, KTRB Cool
Austin
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Here are some Czech traditions. I don't follow all of them. Smile

No lights should be lit in the house before the first star comes out. After it does, dinner is served.
The table should be set for an even number of guests. An odd number brings bad luck or death.
An extra plate can be used to even out the number of guests. An extra plate should also be prepared in case an unexpected guest or a person in need comes by the house at dinner time.
The legs of the table can be tied with a rope to protect the house from thieves and burglars in the coming year.
No one should sit with their back to the door.
Christmas dinner should consist of nine courses including soup, bread with honey, carp, potato salad, fruit (dried, fresh or canned) & dessert (apple strudel or vánočka - Christmas bread).
No alcohol should be served on Christmas Eve.
No one should ever get up from the Christmas table before dinner is finished. Doing so brings bad luck and death in the family.
Everyone should finish their dinner and leave nothing on the plate.
The first person to leave the table after dinner will be the first one to die in the coming year - that is why everyone should get up from the table at the same time.
Any leftovers from dinner (crumbs, fishbones, etc.) should be buried around outdoor trees to ensure they will bear lots of fruit.
All household animals should be fed after dinner so that no one goes hungry on Christmas Eve.

When I was little, we used empty walnut shells and each family member placed a little burning candle into a shell. Everyone's shells were then floated on a bowl of water. If the shell made it across the bowl, its owner will live a long and healthy life. A shell that sinks brings bad luck to its owner.

For New Years, we ate a bowl of lentils with a cooked egg on top. The lentils were for lots of money for the coming new year and the egg for a sunny future.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyro Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:30 pm

Soapbuddy wrote:Here are some Czech traditions. I don't follow all of them. Smile
Christmas dinner should consist of nine courses including soup, bread with honey, carp, potato salad, fruit (dried, fresh or canned) & dessert (apple strudel or vánočka - Christmas bread).
Nine courses! That's some dinner. Smile
Soapbuddy wrote:No one should ever get up from the Christmas table before dinner is finished. Doing so brings bad luck and death in the family.
Hopefully I'll have a long life. I'm always the last one to leave.
Soapbuddy wrote:For New Years, we ate a bowl of lentils with a cooked egg on top. The lentils were for lots of money for the coming new year and the egg for a sunny future.
Well you can never have enough money. I'm buying a can of lentil soup for tomorrow's dinner and adding a sunnyside egg to it. sunny

In grew up in West Virginia. We always ate black eyed peas on New Year's eve because it was believed to be bring good luck for the coming year. My mother, a true Southern lady if ever there was one, was known to hold guests hostage until they'd ingested at a least a spoonful of black eyed peas and greens lest their luck for the upcoming year be damaged before the year even got under way.
Tyro
Tyro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Sounds like the black eyed peas served the same purpose. I don't think I've ever eaten any; or collard greens. I believe that's a southern food as well?
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Levi Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 pm

I've had had so many New Year’s traditions over the years. As a kid, it was always tons of late night movies and junk food and the whole family just being together. As an adult, my traditions have included everything from banging pots and pans to lighting fireworks. For me, sticking to traditions while they fit my life, going with the flow when they don’t and grabbing new ones makes sense. Traditions, after all, are about passing on customs and beliefs. So, maybe it’s not so important whether we are banging pots or lighting fireworks. Maybe it is really about setting aside the time to be together, to celebrate the New Year coming, honor the past year and forging forward to futures that lie ahead.
Levi
Levi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Levi wrote:I've had had so many New Year’s traditions over the years. As a kid, it was always tons of late night movies and junk food and the whole family just being together. As an adult, my traditions have included everything from banging pots and pans to lighting fireworks. For me, sticking to traditions while they fit my life, going with the flow when they don’t and grabbing new ones makes sense. Traditions, after all, are about passing on customs and beliefs. So, maybe it’s not so important whether we are banging pots or lighting fireworks. Maybe it is really about setting aside the time to be together, to celebrate the New Year coming, honor the past year and forging forward to futures that lie ahead.
I agree.
Banging pots or lighting fireworks sounds pretty cool too!
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Razorman Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Put a dollar bill in your right shoe and after walking the first 24 hrs of the year put it in your wallet and don’t use it the last day of year 2010. This will attract more money the whole year.
Razorman
Razorman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Razorman wrote:Put a dollar bill in your right shoe and after walking the first 24 hrs of the year put it in your wallet and don’t use it the last day of year 2010. This will attract more money the whole year.
I like that one; thanks!
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  AtomicGleam Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Don’t forget to eat something sweet, so the year can be sweet as well.
AtomicGleam
AtomicGleam
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:21 pm

AtomicGleam wrote:Don’t forget to eat something sweet, so the year can be sweet as well.
Got that! Very Happy I'm saving my chocolate.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  AtomicGleam Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:27 pm

Soapbuddy wrote:Got that! Very Happy I'm saving my chocolate.
If you don't have chocolate, grapes will work.
Eat 12 grapes at midnight and while eating them make a wish for each month of the year 2010.
AtomicGleam
AtomicGleam
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 pm

AtomicGleam wrote:
Soapbuddy wrote:Got that! Very Happy I'm saving my chocolate.
If you don't have chocolate, grapes will work.
Eat 12 grapes at midnight and while eating them make a wish for each month of the year 2010.
I heard about the 12 grapes somewhere; also 12 bells.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyro Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Auld Lang Syne” has been called the most familiar song to which nobody knows the words. Written by Robert Burns and first published after his death in 1796, the song became an annual standard in 1929 when Guy Lombardo played it on New Year’s Eve, broadcasting from the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. The title literally means, “Old Long Time.” Roughly translated, here are the words:

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot, and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne.
We’ll take a cup of kindness yet, for days of auld lang syne.

We two have run around the hills
And pulled the daisies fine.
But we’ve wandered many a weary foot
Since the days of auld lang syne.

We two have paddled in the stream
From morn till the sun was down.
But seas between us two have roared
Since days of auld lang syne.

So here’s a hand my trusty friend.
Give us a hand of thine.
We’ll take a good-will drink again
For auld lang syne.
Tyro
Tyro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:24 am

Auld Lang Syne is a real downer. Rather depressing, I would say.
After all those years there should be a more uplifting tune to bring in the New Year with.
Luke
Luke
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Webmaster Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:32 pm

This song is an alternative to the 1929 New Year's tune. "Same Old Lang Syne" is a song written and sung by Dan Fogelberg from his 1981 album The Innocent Age. It's a narrative ballad told in the first person and tells the bittersweet story of two long-ago lovers meeting on Christmas Eve. The melody phrase at the beginning of each verse is taken by Fogelberg from Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. The song is frequently played during the holiday season and is integrated with traditional Christmas songs, despite having little to do with the holiday other than a brief mention of Christmas Eve. The song begins mentioning Christmas Eve and ends with the acknowledgment of snow, commonly associated with the Christmas holiday in U.S. popular culture. Apart from the initial (and final) reference, there is no further association with the holiday or holiday season. However, since the song's release, both the reference in the title and the musical quote of Auld Lang Syne (traditionally sung on New Year's Eve) as the epilogue have encouraged the song's popularity during December.
Webmaster
Webmaster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:25 pm

That song is just as depressing as the original Lang Syne. Sad

Here's something much more uplifting.
Luke
Luke
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sanderson Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:46 am

AtomicGleam wrote:Don’t forget to eat something sweet, so the year can be sweet as well.
Not a good idea if you're a diabetic.
Sanderson
Sanderson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soapbuddy Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:44 pm

It has been a tradition in our family that if you eat cooked lentils with crumbled bacon and a sunny side up egg on New Year's, the lentils are for lots of money and the egg for a sunny future.
Soapbuddy
Soapbuddy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Tis been a bad year for MA's l'il nephew. Will give the cup of lentils and the sunny side egg with bacon a try this Saturday. Hope it works.
Austin
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next